Regular Maintenance and Cleaning a Sheepskin Rug?
Like any other rug, your sheepskin rug requires regular cleaning and maintenance. Natural sheepskin rugs are pretty easy to care for. When you wash them properly, they can look as good as new. If you have a small rug, wash it on a delicate cycle in the washing machine. For regular cleaning, you only need some bleach and enzyme-free cleaners.
Brush your sheepskin rug to keep it fluffy. Do it whenever your rug starts to flatten. The frequency depends on its usage and exposure to foot traffic.
- Mix a cap-full of enzyme-free cleaner with about 500ml of warm water
- Apply some of the mixture to the spot you want to clean
- Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse out with a damp cloth
- Pat the spot with a dry towel to get rid of excess moisture
- Dry your rug away from direct sunlight or heat
- When dry, shake off the rug and lay it
If your stain is large, you may need to seek professional help. If you take it to a dry cleaner, ensure they have experience in cleaning sheepskin. When purchasing your sheepskin rug, your supplier should give you suggestions on how to wash it. Its label may have directions for washing it. If you are unsure, hand washing is much better than machine washing.
Try your best to avoid staining your rug. Stains such as coffee, wine, and grease can damage your rug after some time. If there is a stain, do not use chemical detergents to remove it. Use starch or any other natural cleaners. Use as little water as possible. Dampen the rug rather than soaking it in water.
Tips for Drying Your Rug
Dry it away from direct sunlight. Direct exposure to sunlight may cause the rug to lose its fine texture. The best way to dry your sheepskin rug is by laying it down in a warm, airy place. Do not dry it next to a heater or fireplace. Placing a dry towel on the ground will speed up the drying process. It absorbs the excess moisture and keeps your rug clean. Even though hanging your rug helps it dry faster, the rug may stretch out of shine.
- To get rid of loose dirt, shake the rug off and brush it. Regular brushing keeps dust and dirt away. It helps your rug maintain its fluff for a long time
- Occasional vacuuming gets rid of loose dirt. Avoid vacuuming with a rotating vacuum head attachment. A standard nozzle attachment is more appropriate
Always store your sheepskin rug in a cool, dry place. If you wish to transport it, use a plastic bag to minimize exposure to moisture. Do not leave the rug in non-breathable material for too long. Keep it away from direct heat and sunlight.
Consider buying your sheepskin rug from Hide Rugs. You can find high-quality animal hide rugs at affordable prices. Some of the available options include; cowhide rugs, goatskin rugs, and reindeer rugs.